While up in BC this past weekend, Angela gave me a little bump of wool in various shades of green and blue and rust(?)*, which as I’m pretty sure I mentioned at some point below, I spun up on Sunday morning. Last night and this afternoon I took a bunch of pictures of it. NONE of which really show what it actually looks like. (*I’m red/green colorblind, so, really, wtf do I know about it?). This one:
I think is the closest. I could be wrong. See above. The others… not quite. See? and see? and again with the not quite. And yes, totally wrong. Meh. Whatever. It’s green. With some other pretty colors in it. And it’s soft. And nice. And no, I haven’t measured it yet, so I don’t know how much I ended up with when all was said and done.
Moving right along.
I’ve been working on a SUPER SECRET PROJECT (and, oh bugger, here I go showing a bunch of pictures of it… sheesh), and was cruising along until I got to the 11th damn pattern repeat. At which point it all went to crap. THREE TIMES. I had to completely reknit repeat 11 twice (I forget why now. short attention span, I know), and was 5 or 6 rows into repeat 12 when I noticed: BIG GODDAMNED HOLE. Not only was it a BGDH, mind you, but it was (insert much profanity here) many, many rows BELOW the last lifeline. What’s a girl to do? Each row is…. um… lots of stitches at this point. 5+155+37+155+5. That many. No way no how was I going to rip it ALL back and redo that many stitches and rows and omg it’s garter stitch and please make it stop. But oh ho! I am crafty!
Check it out, yo:
First things first: Gather your supplies.
Here we have: the offending piece of knitting (the pink blob), the pattern, a good magnifying lamp, needles, scissors, and yummy Canadian microbrew (and, apparently, a can of highly flammable spray-stuff in the background, just in case…). Wait! Where is the chocolate?! Crap. Oh well. Soldiering on.
Then! Um. I forget what comes next so Unicorns! Unicorns make everything better.
Ok, ok. Moving right along with the repair project.
I guess now is the time to really look at what we’re up against:
And then? What then?
Rip it! Rip it good! (just make sure you’ve put a lifeline in at the bottom of the section you are gonna fix.
Then you just pick up the stitches along the lifeline and go to town. Really.
Here we have, I think, 4 rows reknit.
And here we have 8 rows reknit, with only 13 to go. But I was tired, and I started making mistakes which had to be unknit and reknit and… decided to stop for the night.
There you have it. Updates! Photos! And yeah, I’ll post another picture when I get the reknitting of the lace section finished.
Edit: In response to Angela’s question in the comments, here’s how I did the green spinning:
I weighed the whole thing, and then just divvied it up into three roughly equal piles without regard to color. Then I split each sliver up into three or four lengthwise pieces, laid them on my left knee, and just grabbed them randomly as I spun. From that I got three bobbins full, which I then plied. I probably should have done it as a two-ply instead of a three-ply, but I really liked the way it came out as a three-ply.
And… I finished the repair on the lace last night. I still have to go through and even out the stitches in a couple of places in that section, but I figure that can wait until I block it (if any of you know different, PLEASE tell me now!). Pictures to follow, probably over the weekend.